Overreactions with 63 to go: Sabres crush Leafs in convincing and hilarious fashion
Any time the Toronto Maple Leafs are in town, it’s dreaded. Thousands of thousands of the worst, most obnoxious jackasses that come through the doors of First Niagara Center all season routinely leave their mark.
Tonight, they left jerseys on the ice. They left beer cans. And they left without two points.
The Buffalo Sabres, with a home crowd in Leafs gear booing them as they took the ice, played their best and most complete game of the season. With a 6-2 win, the throngs of visitors and their opponent went home angry and disgusted.
It was great. Really. Really great.
Zemgus Girgensons scored twice and Buffalo got rock solid goaltending from Michal Neuvirth, stopping 32 of 34 Toronto shots.
“It’s hard enough when you don’t win games,” said Girgensons. “Today was absolutely different how we played.”
Tyler Ennis, Drew Stafford, Matt Moulson and Tyler Myers also scored for the Sabres.
“It was a fun one,” said Ennis.
David Clarkson and Phil Kessel scored for Toronto, who lost to the Buffalo Sabres.
- Buffalo registered a season-high 35 shots on goal. The previous high was 32, twice. They registered 30+ just three times before tonight, and won none of those games.
- Brian Flynn on that second goal was super dreamy. Tyson Strachan ripped the puck around the wall and Flynn took off immediately, beats Reimer to the puck and is cool as the other side of the pillow in finding Girgensons in the high slot. Great play. Super duper.
- Understated with the goalscoring output is how well Neuvirth played. Made some huge saves early to keep the Leafs off the board until late in the second period.
- Good to see Tyler Myers get a goal. Jack up that trade value, you tall person.
- Great to see Stafford and Ennis producing consistently. Ennis and Matt Moulson each have five points in their last three, Stafford four in his last three.
- Marcus Foligno was lauded by Nolan after the game. He was credited with eight hits (a team high) and other than the golden scoring opportunity he failed to cash, was somewhat invisible to me. Whatever.
- Second sellout in a row for the Sabres. Someday, they might even fill the place with their own fans.
- I really liked Ennis’ pass to Moulson on his goal late in the second. Gorgeous.
3MI Three Star Selections
1. Zemgus Girgensons, Buffalo
2. Michal Neuvirth, Buffalo
3. Tyler Ennis, Buffalo
Official Three Stars of the Game
1. Tyler Ennis, Buffalo (PP Goal (6), 2 assists)
2. Zemgus Girgensons, Buffalo (2 goals (6))
3. Drew Stafford, Buffalo (Goal (4), assist)
Quote of the night:
“I could tell the guys had confidence tonight.” — Buffalo Sabres goaltender Michal Neuvirth
Posted on November 16, 2014, in Sabres/NHL and tagged Brian Flynn, Buffalo Sabres, Drew Stafford, Marcus Foligno, Matt Moulson, Michal Neuvirth, Overreactions, Toronto Maple Leafs, Tyler Ennis, Tyler Myers, Tyson Strachan, Zemgus Girgensons. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.