Preseason Overreactions: Sabres crush Capitals in final home exhibition
With the Washington Capitals leaving their stars out of the lineup, it looked pretty easy for the Sabres. Unfortunately, every team they play this season won’t be doing that, so they’re still pretty screwed.
On a brisk Wednesday night in Buffalo, the Sabres jumped ahead early and rolled to a 6-1 victory over the visiting Capitals, wrapping up their home preseason slate.
Buffalo got two goals from Matt Moulson, as well as markers from Drew Stafford, Tyler Ennis, Marcus Foligno and Sam Reinhart, who all scored their first of the preseason. The Sabres led 5-0 before Washington got on the board in the third on a goal by Jason Chimera.
“It was a good game all around,” said Ennis. “It was nice to see Reinhart get his first goal. Everyone contributed.”
Jhonas Enroth was a stud in net again, making 22 saves and solidifying himself as the likely starter for the season opener. Coach Ted Nolan wouldn’t confirm that after the game, but he acknowledged that Enroth is in a good position to be the team’s top goalie.
Buffalo wraps up their preseason on Friday in Carolina.
- This was by far the best game Sam Reinhart has played this fall. I commented early how he looked like he belonged, and he followed that up with a goal in the third period. Before I wasn’t sure he deserved a look once the season starts, but he does now.
- Marcus Foligno had a nice game. His goal was good work, as he basically got a free pass to the goal crease and walked it around Washington’s Braden Holtby. It’s good that he’s contributing. He’s going to need to do that regularly at some point.
- Jhonas Enroth might end up getting 60 games this year if he plays this well. Hard for Nolan to turn elsewhere when he’s getting strong performances like this.
- Chris Stewart will be a fan favorite by January, after people really start watching games in December.
- Drew Stafford and Matt Moulson will have a real nice year playing together. Moulson’s gonna put up some numbers.
- Probably only 13,000 in the house tonight. Not sure if you call that good or bad since they probably distributed close to 18,000 for this one.
- The bus ticket back to London can’t come soon enough for Nikita Zadorov. He picked up an assist tonight, but he just needs more time to marinate, and he can’t go to Rochester quite yet.
- Might have been the best game Brian Gionta played this preseason, but then again, the game was meaningless.
3MI Three Star Selections
1. Matt Moulson, Buffalo
2. Tyler Ennis, Buffalo
3. Brian Gionta, Buffalo
Official Three Stars of the Game
1. Tyler Ennis, Buffalo (Goal (1), 2 assists)
2. Matt Moulson, Buffalo (2 goals (2))
3. Marcus Foligno, Buffalo (Goal (1), assist)
Quote of the night:
“Compete.” — Buffalo Sabres coach Ted Nolan
Posted on October 1, 2014, in Sabres/NHL and tagged Brian Gionta, Buffalo Sabres, Chris Stewart, Drew Stafford, Jhonas Enroth, Marcus Foligno, Matt Moulson, Meaningless games, Nikita Zadorov, Overreactions, Sam Reinhart, Tyler Ennis, Washington Capitals. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.