Overreaction: Miller holds back Hurricanes in last minute win
We don’t know if Tuesday night was Ryan Miller’s last game with the Sabres. It might be. Then again, any game could be anybody’s last, because, you know… life.
But the impending NHL trade deadline is making these things more of a reality. And Miller made a hell of a case to be someone teams want on their squad against the Carolina Hurricanes, stopping 36 shots and even adding two assists in a 3-2 win in Buffalo’s first game back from the Olympic break.
Christian Ehrhoff scored twice for the Sabres, including the winner with 43.4 seconds remaining in regulation. Tyler Ennis also added a third period goal for Buffalo, who was outshot 38-18 on the night.
“Sometimes the hockey gods are good to you,” Ehrhoff said.
Ennis’ goal put the Sabres up 2-1 with less than eight minutes to go, but a fine individual effort from Carolina’s Alexander Semin tied the game at 2-2 with four minutes exactly on the clock.
Eric Staal also scored for Carolina.
Buffalo now hosts Boston on Wednesday night to continue a stretch of three games in four nights at First Niagara Center.
- The word “Latvia” came up more than I’m comfortable with during this game. Let’s not be them.
- How about that game out of Ville Leino? He was good. Drew two penalties, and was generally effective possessing the puck. Not bad for starting the game between Matt Ellis and Cody McCormick.
- Not sure I’m comfortable with the idea Tyler Myers has an “A” on his sweater. I don’t want him to be looked at as part of the core. There was one play with the Sabres on the powerplay, where he got caught with the puck at the blueline near the bench. With the team changing and trying to get onside, he just fired it into the corner, completely unaware that Christian Ehrhoff was alone and waiting for a pass at their own blueline. Simple play could’ve retained possession if he sends it back to Ehrhoff. Myers gives the puck away. The problem with Tyler is between the ears.
- Anyone else sick of listening to Tim Murray talk? Me neither.
- If that’s Ryan Miller’s last game on the ice for the Sabres, that’s a shame. He’ll be missed.
3MI Three Star Selections
1. Ryan Miller, Buffalo
2. Christian Ehrhoff, Buffalo
3. Ville Leino, Buffalo
Official Three Stars of the Game
1. Ryan Miller, Buffalo (36 saves, 2 GA, 2 assists)
2. Christian Ehrhoff, Buffalo (2 goals (6))
3. Tyler Ennis, Buffalo (Goal (14))
Quote of the night:
“I think the German head coach for the national team was in the crowd tonight, so maybe he wanted to put on a good show for him and he did.” — Buffalo Sabres interim Head Coach Ted Nolan
Posted on February 26, 2014, in Sabres/NHL and tagged Carolina Hurricanes, Christian Ehrhoff, Cody McCormick, Matt Ellis, Overreactions, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Tyler Ennis, Tyler Myers, Ville Leino. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.