Overreactions: Sabres now unstoppable, score goals and win second in a row
It can get a bit redundant writing about losses ad nauseum. I mean, we know what the deal is this season, but still. And then you have a game like this, and you realize you forgot how much more fun winning is.
And the Sabres, for the second game in a row, did just that.
With the despised Boston Bruins in town, Buffalo rebounded from a 2-1 second period deficit with a 4-2 victory at First Niagara Center.
Drew Stafford and Tyler Myers both scored their third of the season in a 1:20 span in the final minutes of regulation to provide the margin of victory. Stafford, who has struggled offensively this season, finally got one to go in after missing a few solid chances early on.
“I had to stick with it. Sooner or later one was going to have to go in,” said Stafford.
Buffalo also got goals from Brian Flynn and Marcus Foligno. Flynn was the first star of the game, adding an assist as he finished +3. Foligno also finished with two points, assisting on Myers’ insurance goal.
Ryan Miller got the win in goal, as he stopped 34 of 36 shots. Brad Marchand had both goals for the Bruins.
The teams finish their home-and-home set Saturday night in Boston.
- So happy for Drew Stafford. He gets a lot of shit from fans and media (merited on results), but you can’t question his effort. It’s bound to come eventually. Is “progression to the mean” a thing? Because he’d be due for that.
- Brian Flynn is awesome.
- Said it during the game, but I’ve frequently mentioned how I want “Bridge Burning” by Foo Fighters to be used for the team’s intro video. They played it during the game, right after Mike Weber went after Milan Lucic. The next faceoff was at center ice after Flynn scored. Not saying, just saying.
- Tyler Myers gets a lot of shit from me (merited on results), but he played a good game. His goal was him being in the right spot. He didn’t get embarrassed in his own zone like has frequently happened this season. He’s not where he needs to be, but for one night, he wasn’t awful.
- Alex Sulzer got some decent powerplay minutes. Alright then.
- I really like Brian Flynn.
- Don’t remember ever hearing of a trade during a game in progress. I like the move. Low risk, medium-to-high reward potential. Linus Omark is going to be interesting to watch. In lieu of younger talent, at least.
- Speaking of intro videos, still don’t know how the game presentation department still doesn’t grasp how terrible it looks to ignore the team coming out on the ice. If there’s one thing to build up, that’s it. Figure it out.
- Have I mentioned how much I like Brian Flynn?
3MI Three Star Selections
1. Brian Flynn, Buffalo
2. Drew Stafford, Buffalo
3. Marcus Foligno, Buffalo
Official Three Stars of the Game
1. Brian Flynn, Buffalo (SH Goal (3), assist)
2. Marcus Foligno, Buffalo (Goal (5), assist)
3. Drew Stafford, Buffalo (GW Goal (3))
Quote of the night:
“Sometimes you don’t even know he’s at practice unless you just watch him. He’s so quiet. He was sure loud tonight the way he played.” — Buffalo Sabres interim coach Ted Nolan on Sabres forward Brian Flynn
Posted on December 20, 2013, in Sabres/NHL and tagged Alexander Sulzer, Boston Bruins, Brian Flynn, Drew Stafford, Linus Omark, Marcus Foligno, Mike Weber, Overreactions, Sabres, Tyler Myers. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.