Overreactions, Preseason Edition #4: Again, beating Toronto is fun.
Like the way the sun comes up every morning. And how the Sabres always seem to beat the Leafs, even in meaningless exhibition games.
Same old story on Saturday night in Buffalo, as the Sabres defeated the Leafs for the second time in as many nights, this time by a score of 3-2.
Buffalo got powerplay goals from Drew Stafford, Christian Ehrhoff and Luke Adam, converting three of four man-advantage opportunities.
Jhonas Enroth got the win, making 19 saves for his third win of the preseason. He was beaten twice by Leafs forward Mikhail Grabovski, with the first of the two a possible kick that stood as a good goal.
- First point I need to make is that the Sabres did a good job stepping up and fixing a lot (not all, but most) of the problems in game presentation. There was game notes (key addition) and they did a full pregame introduction. Kudos to the organization for fixing mistakes. It’s encouraging.
- All three of the Sabres goals were beautiful powerplay goals. Good puck movement, good positioning, just overall nice plays. The Luke Adam goal was the fruit of a great passing play by Thomas Vanek and Brad Boyes. Boyes finding Adam was the product of patience, instead of Boyes just rushing the shot, he was able to thread a pass to a wide open Adam for the goal.
- Jhonas Enroth, dating back to the start of last preseason, is 13-3-2 in his last 18 decisions.
- The game was extremely chippy early, a carryover from the end of the game the night before. It settled down after the first period, but that first was very entertaining.
- I really liked Brad Boyes. He had the assist, but overall it was a very good showing. Was very engaged physically, and created a lot of scoring chances.
- The most encouraging thing I’ve gathered from the preseason is how well the key lines have looked. Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta and Ennis-Leino-Stafford were good again Saturday night. The Vanek-Roy-Pominville line has looked good in past games. The lineup seems pretty set.
- I don’t think there’s any chance Zack Kassian is going to get NHL time anytime soon. He needs some work and has not looked good at all. He was -1 in 9:21 of ice time against the Leafs.
Buffalo continues the preseason itinerary continues Sunday night as the Sabres take on the Blue Jackets in Columbus at 5:00pm ET. The game will not be televised.
Posted on September 25, 2011, in Sabres/NHL and tagged Brad Boyes, Christian Ehrhoff, Drew Stafford, Jhonas Enroth, Luke Adam, Overreactions, Sabres, Toronto Maple Leafs, Zack Kassian. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.