Overreactions, Edition 73: Miller, Gerbe help lock up win
Short of blowing their opponent out of the building, is there any other effort you’d prefer to see coming off that collapse on Sunday?
Playing a flawless road game, Buffalo went to Centre Bell and defeated Montreal, 2-0.
Ryan Miller made 31 saves for his fourth clean sheet of the season, and Nathan Gerbe scored both goals to keep the Sabres three points ahead of 9th place Carolina.
“We’ve got to get the points at all times,” Miller said. “Just watching what other teams do, they’re scraping by, they’re getting to overtime. There are a lot of three-point games out there so you just have to scrape and battle, and tonight was one of those games and we’re happy to get out of here.”
It was an overall solid outing for Buffalo, and a very encouraging effort. With a couple days off before they host Florida on Friday night, the Sabres can ride high on this win.
- Nathan Gerbe is finally showing that he can consistently be effective at the NHL level. He had a very rough first half, but has really turned it on of late and has goals in three straight games. His effort that created the empty net goal was awesome. That kind of desire can elevate a player’s game immensely, and it has.
- Thomas Vanek is struggling mightily to put the puck in the net, but as long as he continues to create chances, it’ll work itself out. If he’s invisible and not getting chances, that’s when you worry. Once they start raining in, it’ll pour if he keeps himself in these kind of positions.
- Sabres powerplay was 0-for-5. In tight games, especially on the road, you gotta convert on that many chances. Kudos to the team for having discipline and only giving Montreal two powerplays.
- Am I the only one that’s shocked Gerbe didn’t get a penalty when he knocked down Montreal’s P.K. Subban on his way to the empty net? I mean, it really shouldn’t have been a penalty, but the game was in Montreal. You don’t go into that building expecting calls to go your way.
- Andrej Sekera played under 20 minutes for just the second time in his last eleven outings. He looked good coming off his trainwreck performance late on Sunday.
- Rob Niedermayer played less than 10 minutes. I wonder what the Sabres’ record is when his ice time is single digits. Gotta be good.
- Jhonas Enroth gets a game this weekend, right? Or is he just sitting around not playing? Not damning Miller’s play here, but the last thing you need is your only competent backup getting rusty.
- If the Sabres can gain two more point on Carolina over the next week and a half, they’d be in position to eliminate the Hurricanes’ playoff chances with a win in Raleigh on April 3rd. Anyone want that to happen? Me too.
Posted on March 23, 2011, in Sabres/NHL and tagged Montreal Canadiens, Nathan Gerbe, Overreactions, Rob Niedermayer, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Sekera, Thomas Vanek. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.