Overreactions, Edition 53: Big win
Yeah, a big win.
All it took was a big shot from big Tyler Myers to end a big boring mess in Sunrise, Florida.
The Sabres pulled within two points of 8th place Carolina with a 3-2 overtime win over the Florida Panthers.
Mike Weber opened the scoring in the second period, breaking an exhilarating scoreless tie. After surrendering a late goal in the second, Thomas Vanek’s third period goal gave the Sabres another lead, which would also be squandered.
In the surprisingly exciting overtime period, both teams traded opportunities until Tyler Myers came streaking down the right wing and ripped a slap shot past Tomas Vokoun with less than five seconds left in the sudden death period.
“I just happened to notice that a couple of their forwards got caught down low and the puck came to me,” he said. “I just decided to go with it. I didn’t even realize there was 5 seconds left when I took the shot.”
The win gives the Sabres their first three game winning streak of the season.
- That Rob Niedermayer-Mike Grier 2-on-1 was, well… Chris Lee’s political career has more promise than that scoring opportunity.
- Sabres fans on Twitter took every opportunity to bash the fact there’s a franchise in South Florida. Yeah, I saw the empty seats. It was 76 degrees in Sunrise at puck drop. The Panthers are boring as shit. Why the hell would people pay for that? Blame the product for not stimulating the fan base and stop being snobs. Don’t make us all look like Canadians.
- Ryan Miller wasn’t spectacular, but he was good enough. If he can keep it to two goals or less on any given night, odds are the Sabres will be in good shape.
- Mike Weber… beast.
- Did I mention how boring it is playing the Panthers? Don’t blame the crowd being dead. They do not play exciting hockey. They play boring.
- Thomas Vanek, just scoring big goals when he’s supposed to. He has an ‘on’ switch that he can flip whenever he wants. Someone needs to find a way to keep it switched on.
- Did Drew Stafford play tonight?
- The Florida Panthers need to go back to red jerseys. It just seems right. Everything else seems so wrong.
- Nathan Gerbe can not take penalties like the one he took tonight. Gotta be smarter than that.
8th place Carolina lost to Philadelphia. Sabres are two points back with two games in hand.
Posted on February 11, 2011, in Sabres/NHL and tagged Drew Stafford, Florida Panthers, Mike Weber, Nathan Gerbe, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Thomas Vanek, Tyler Myers. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.