Overreactions from Game 3 of 82: At least Pommer ain’t dead.
After storming into a quick 2-0 lead against a young goalie making his first start of the season, the Sabres’ train got literally derailed when forward Jason Pominville got jacked up from behind by Chicago defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson late in the first period of Monday night’s game.
Not only was Pominville carried off in a stretcher, the Blackhawks carried off a 4-3 win, rebounding from the shakiest of starts to keep the Sabres winless inside the friendly confines of HSBC Arena. Pominville suffered a concussion and cut on his face, but appears to be relatively alright.
“That was a terrible hit,” said Thomas Vanek. “It was a hit to the head from behind. [Hjalmarsson] is not a dirty player. That was just a bad hit obviously. He got penalized for it and I’m sure they’ll look at it again.”
Quick hits on the second loss of the season:
- Derek Roy is officially a superhuman and apparently has decided he would like a shot at Alexander Mogilny’s single season goal mark. Only 72 more to tie, Roysie!
- Drew Stafford, it is much appreciated that you decided to show your face on the scoresheet tonight. Make it a habit, please.
- Tyler Myers, what did you do last season that you aren’t doing this season? I’m not impressed. In fact, this is how I’d rank our defensemen by performance so far, through 3 games:
- Jordan Leopold
- Shaone Morrisonn
- Steve Montador
- Andrej Sekera
- Tyler Myers
- Craig Rivet
- I’m a big Tyler Ennis supporter, but I’ll admit his play hasn’t been spectacular. But if he keeps racking up points, is there much you can do? 4 assists and +2 through three games.
- Over under on Hjalmarsson’s suspension: 2 1/2.
- The powerplay looked like a giant bucket of shit. Scott Arniel, where art thou? Oh yeah. Columbus.
- Thomas Vanek doesn’t look like the same pissed-off-and-ready-to-take-shit-over Thomas Vanek we saw at the end of last season. What can we do to make him angry? He was near-invisible against Chicago.
- Next three games? New Jersey, Montreal and Chicago. Yeesh.
- Cody McCormick fills out the lineup better than Nathan Gerbe, as proved again tonight. I love what he adds in toughness without being a waste on skates.
- Good for Pat Kane scoring in his hometown again. Now go beat other teams and leave the Sabres alone.
- Wow. Still can’t believe Tim Connolly, of all people, was the guy to stand up for a teammate. He even threw a hit later in the game. I’m not a Timmah-hater, but an out-of-character night for Connolly, in a good way.
- Ryan Miller has looked solid in his three outings, but if this team is going to be as good as they were last season, it’s up to Miller to be above average. Solid just isn’t enough, Ryan.
At least the Sabres have one thing going for them going into Wednesday. They’ll at least be able to ice a full roster against New Jersey. Hope you like double shifting, Lou… that’s what you get for not being able to work a calculator.
Posted on October 12, 2010, in Sabres/NHL and tagged Chicago Blackhawks, Cody McCormick, Derek Roy, Drew Stafford, Jason Pominville, Sabres, Thomas Vanek, Tyler Ennis, Tyler Myers, WE SUCK. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.